who can apply?
The Kitchen Project is designed for emerging food entrepreneurs in the first year or two of business, with a food business that needs help and support to succeed.
Entrepreneurs will be focused on building their business locally and committed to healthy food processes and ingredients to improve the food culture of the community. We’ll also ask applicants to demonstrate their commitment to sustainable business practices.
An ideal business will be able to show a business plan and have been selling food products/service to a small and loyal customer base.
This pilot programme celebrates the diversity of Henderson and the surrounding west Auckland community, which is a vibrant place with people from different cultures, races and countries of origin. The Kitchen Project is committed to reflecting the vibrancy of our community as we select our applicants.
We are currently looking for entrepreneurs in west Auckland – follow us on Facebook to be the first to know when we roll out the programme to other Auckland communities.
Food businesses will need to meet the following criteria:
Be business ready
- Have a food business and a product or service that is legal and safe.
- Be based in west Auckland and plan to operate in the area, with a commitment to growing the food culture of the community.
- Be in a position to financially support your involvement in our programme.
- You will enter a contract with the Kitchen Project that outlines programme expectations.
- Have a commitment to:community (employees and staff)
– community (employees and staff)
– environmental sustainability (production, packaging, processing, types of ingredients, and food waste)
– healthy food (ingredients and food processes).
Be personally ready
- Be willing to learn, and evolve the business, for commercial viability.
- Be hardworking and dedicated and able to work with others in a shared learning and work space.
- Be willing to share and be transparent about your business, including financial information.
- Be able to attend 9 hours a week of programme time.
- Have what it takes to grow and thrive in the food industry.
how much does it cost?
It is free to apply to the programme. If your application is successful, the programme will cost $50 a month.
Over the whole 26-week period the total cost for entrepreneurs will be $325 plus kitchen time.
Your use of the commercial kitchen during the development programme will be charged at an hourly rate, reduced by half from commercial kitchen rates.
You will be responsible for all the costs your business occurs over and above this.
Applications for our March intake are now closed. Thank you to all the food entrepreneurs who applied, we will be in contact with you shortly.